Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hello Mountains

Finally get some library time lol. Hello from N. Wilkesboro, NC. Mountains all around me and they are beautiful but slightly intimidating. Been a while since I have been able to update, so what has happened?

Let's see...Winston-Salem. Hmm, not a good experience there. Coming in from the east, I walked through the slums. Just a dirty and poor area, but nice enough people walking by. Then it slowly transitioned to downtown, which at first looked like a bomb had been dropped and everybody disappeared. It was a starnge place to walk, like everything was shut down and everybody disappeared. Then downtown started looking cool (this city drastically changes from east to west). Found the library, and it was a weird set-up for computer time. You had to watch for your number to pop up on a big screen. Felt like I was in an airport or something. Had 2 teenage boys wearing dresses (seriously) near me. One said he liked my tattoo.
So, I leave the library and go to the Salvation Army. I was hoping to pick up some canned food, and maybe get a night in the shelter, so I could get a good night's sleep, a shower, and maybe some laundry done. So I walk a lot of blocks down a steep hill and get there. Lots of empty 40 bottles in bags all over the grass. There was a lady outside. I told her my name and started asking her for food and then she cut me off and said they serve the community at 4:45 (it's about 2:00 now). She goes inside. So, I calm my nerves and try to go inside, but you have to be buzzed inside, and it didn't happen. So, I sit and wait. And I watch everything, and I talk to a guy that was trying to get a cup of water. He said that they have 2 shelters (one here, and one up the road). They give out meal tickets there. You need a meal ticket to get a meal. Without a ticket, you only get a meal if they have enough. He starts telling me the lowdown on how everything works. Very weird. So, people start pulling in around 4:15 or so. People pulled up in new cars. people were watching youtube videos on their new cell-phones. They had bags of snacks and 2-liters that they just bought. It was crazy. These are the people living at the shelters. So I talk to this guy in front of me. He was about to lose his home, so he moved into the shelter. Has his car, phone, clothes. Has a job. Works and goes home to the shelter. Eats the free meals every day, and eats with his own money too. He rides the S.A. bus from the other shelter to this one to eat.
I came away from it all feeling very disgusted. And then I had that long walk uphill.
Once you get out of downtown, it's a pretty town. Lots of old houses and a historical district. It changes quickly from slums to quaint little college town (Wake Forest is there). Took forever to walk out of there.
And then, hills. Lots and lots of hills.

Nothing exciting to talk about for a few days. On Sunday I found a cool church in Ronda (Ronda Baptist Tabernacle). Lots of friendly people and they made me feel like I belonged there. That church pew was the best seat I have had in weeks. After the service some of the guys were asking me about my walk and everything. It was a very nice time, and it lifted my spirits for the rest of the day.

My mind is drawing a blank now. Haven't met many people. Just a lot of curvy hills and dangerous roads. And now the real fun begins. I have mapped out my plan and should be at Brad's in 12 days (a Sunday). Hope to make it to church and then find his house and relax.

Not sure where the next library is. 6 days away in Burnsville as far as I know. I'll be on when I can.
Pray for me on these mountain roads.

2 comments:

  1. If you do read this I have told brad to get you a nice cold beer from me so when you get there enjoy it. Good luch wingman. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Right now I'd rather have a cup of 7-11 coffee...or a pineapple milkshake. How are things on your side of the pond brother?

    ReplyDelete